  From: Wayne Graefen
  To: Bob Merritt Simplex Mfg ; RLS ; John (W) Lazenby ; Owen Grigg
  Cc: Bill Madden ; Burton Bouwkamp ; Larry Jett ; Rich Barber ; Bob Jasinski
  Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:00 AM
  Subject: Re: 58 300 D Daytona Stick Shift Car.. Pictures after Restoration

  Gentlemen

  The photos are a promotion more of the restorer than the car.

  Was the car originally black or red?   Why is it white now?   What is the paint code on the data plate?   Why wasn't the car restored to its code?

  What does Ely Motors, Redwood City, CA, have to do with the history of this car?  I am not aware there is any established racing history or documentation for this motor car company or this vehicle.  If so, why is it being created (other than for resale value)?    Was the car entered at Daytona Speed Weeks?   If so, do you have proof of that?   If so, was it even competitive in its class?

  If this is just another car that has been restored with a strictly PROFIT motive in mind that is going to have a history of HALF-TRUTHS propagated around it, that we will see hit the show circuit for two years to establish the lie along with a couple of magazine articles and then at some big auction following that, if the last few standing HONEST HISTORIANS such as John Lazenby, Owen Grigg, Burt Bouwkamp and myself are going to have to spend hour after hour answering questions about the veracity of this car's faux racing history, then I find this whole photo receipt disgusting but appreciate the warning of what is coming down the pike.

  Will Bob Merritt take the bait and promote yet another undocumented car history, making the 300 Int'l an accomplice to yet another profit scheme?   Will Gil Cunningham of the 300 Int'l sit on his hands as always and let another undocumented car rise in worldwide acknowledgement or will he find his voice?   This is the club that considers itself "the keepers of the legend" and that is such a joke as proven by its ongoing actions.

  As far as I know that 300D happened to be the only manual transmission 1958 Letter Car produced.   Not a horsepower option car;  simply an anomaly out of the factory.   Beyond that, show me some documentation it is something special and has history and then lets start there.  Until then, I am not a believer in a couple of decals and some sign shop lettering.

  Promotions to historians start with documentation, not photos of the product ready for eBay.

  I've watched other "also ran" Speed Week entrant restorations go through auctions over the decades;  all had very disappointing results.

  Wayne Graefen