[Chrysler300] Radiator core fins on 300D-Showtime

[Chrysler300] Radiator core fins on 300D-Showtime

As is often the case, our website has the results of previous research on
this issue and has a listing of Chrysler 300 radiators in the helpful hints
(Tech Dept/Tech Articles/Helpful Hints) section at:
http://www.chrysler300club.com/rcmstuff/hints/helpfulhints.htm
However, the single radiator listed in that summary for TorqueFlite cars
(1686597) does not appear in my ?55-?58 parts book as updated 11/10/58.
Neither does 1686501 which is listed for stick ?57?s.  The parts book does
indicate 1686456 is used on all ?57 Saratogas and New Yorkers and does not
list different radiator cores for any 300?s.  That suggests that radiator
sizing may be based on lower speed/power levels and that there is plenty of
capacity at higher speeds and power levels due to 125-150 mph air streams
flowing across the tubes.  That is my experience with our '55 C300 with the
only overheating occurring while stuck in freeway traffic and idling along
in parades.

It is a small point, but a previous post indicated the letter and digit
after the part number stamped (in raised letters) on the radiator top header
reflect the date code when it was built.  So, now I know the B5 after the
1541641 on the header of the radiator in our ?55 300 indicates it is
probably the original radiator and was produced in February (B), 195(5).
That computes as the car was assembled in March 1955.  Any luck at all, one
can learn something every day.

I do have a question on finish of the core.  The core on our car has
apparently bare fins, perhaps after a cleaning.  Is there a standard for
finish of the fins?  Should they be painted flat or gloss black like the
header?  It would seem bare fins would cool better but it also seems like
radiators used to come from the factory or the radiator shop in all black.

I did attend two local car shows last weekend and our ?55 C300 scored a
trophy at a church meet with about 100 cars for Best Chrome.  Those big
grille halves and the rechromed bumbers continue to impress!  The trophy was
a one quart glass beer mug (!) with quite nice decals on it.  DNF at the big
(380 cars) show at Benicia, run by and for the Benicia high school band.
Both meets had large numbers of conservatively-dressed, fresh-faced,
smiling, courteous and hard-working California teenagers working the various
booths and tasks at the shows.  No tattoos, body piercing, underwear,
attitude or gender-specific anatomy was observed.  The band show was opened
with two band students doing a trumpet duet of the National Anthem that was
well done and touching.   It appeared to me that all hats were off the heads
and on the hearts and there was respectful silence during the playing of the
anthem.  This, in itself, made both days rewarding.   There appears to be
hope for us yet, even in California.

I was able to encourage fellow member Scott Tozzi to bring his nice Toreador
Red F coupe to the Benicia show and he obviously enjoyed the questions and
adulation of the admiring public as his grin kept getting wider all day.
This was Scott?s first car show since he acquired and restored the F last
year.   Our 300?s were lost causes in the voting for ?Best? in various
year-range categories.  Brand loyalty by entrants resulted in mostly
Chebby?s getting the awards.  One RoadRunner placed.  There was a beautiful
'55 NY coupe there in Yellow and Platinum and it drew a lot of attention,
also.

I continue to observe and appreciate the Chrysler 300 reaction as someone
comes up to a 300, breaks out in a big grin, travels back to the ?50?s or
?60?s and starts explaining the history of the marque to a spouse or younger
person with them.

It's showtime folks.  Wax 'em up, scrub those wide whitewalls and get them
to the shows.  Even if you don't score a trophy, you and some of the public
will find the experience enlightening and satisfying.

C-300?ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA