RE: [Chrysler300] Radiator core fins on 300D & other

RE: [Chrysler300] Radiator core fins on 300D & other

A big thank you to Gil for a very likely 100% correct clarification on early 300 radiator core fin type.

A couple of years back, I had noticed 2 of my 300Cs had straight fins, but a third one had the 'squiggly'. All looked pretty factory, and the cars were basically unused since the 70s. So I had asked the earlier Club 300C guru if his book on the matter was 100% correct, but I was told something like 'don't ask dumb questions', you are wrong. So I let the matter go, it not the greatest question/issue re seeing the next day's sunrise not wearing a whiite coat with leather straps with buckles down the back.

So again thanks to Gil, and this goes with thanks to Gil for his likely often considereable cumulative yearly time he spends doing microfish work for Members re the Factory Build detail for our 300s.

Obviously I am a fair way away from America, but I hope local Members appreciate the often repeated time many of the Club's Office Bearers must give - and that reminds me I must buy a PO Money Order and send my dues for the next year to another great/helpful Club Office Bearer. A former Office Bearer used to let o/seas Members use his paypal account to pay dues, saving us the need to do it by other more difficult means - I thank John for this, and know he surely greatly missed by the many who knew him.

Christopher Australia

ps (1) got a zero reply to did any other 300C owners notice the car number and engine number in stencilled white paint on frame side in d/side rear wheel arch. On many cars, it could have been sprayed over with tar, sound deadening before cars left Factory, but for sure on my driest California 300C, it looks 100% factory/original, but on other cars could be under tar. It is visible just above the rear spring front securing bolt area.

(2) another recent site reply re 300C correctness said the trans was painted with motor before installed - so that answered two other earlier rebutted/ignored more 'resto/correctness' queries, not seemingly fully covered in 'resto book' - namely (a) I had asked if coloured inspection paint dobs/streaks I found on trans were likely factory, and (b) I think I also asked was trans normally fully painted silver, including brake drum etc at rear?

So if trans was indeed painted silver with motor bolted on, likely all trans etc was painted?, plus re any assembly inspection dobs maybe used - therefore they would have been painted over, and in my case, either the factory silver had come off, 'aged' thinner somewhat, or the inspection dobs had somewhat bleed through?!  Anyhow looks like both the 'full silver' and the inspectors' paint stripe are/were maybe correct/original.

And on a third major debate/issue former '300C guru' had, none other than Chrysler Engineer Burt Boucamp seemingly had the final '300C word' re how rare 300Cs were being built without power steering, when on this site re Club Members asking re his Daytona involvements, he said in a reply effect 300Cs did not normally (in his memory/understanding) ever leave Factory unless fitted with power steering -the obvious usual exception being the limited number of 390hp manual trans 300Cs ?! Plus then the only very few auto trans 300C that for some reason went out with manual steering.  But the seeming '300C thing' is, that despite the spec sheet for 300Cs saying 300Cs came standard with manual steering, the Factory would not build them that way, that if you wanted one that way, and it seemingly likely had to be a special reason.

So I think all this above tells us that 're car manufacturers', the "rules are", there are 'rules/normalities', unless it does not suit at the time, or there is a reason the rule does not apply??!!

But regardless, if we can know better what was usual factory correct build for our 300s, then at least those who want to try to do it as best/correct as possible, can do it that way?

Christopher Australia - have a good 300ly weekend, many farmers here in the south waiting for next rain to sow winter grain crops such as wheat etc.. Hope that big Gulf Oil spill turns out OK, it getting big coverage on our TV news here, this after we just had big scare with huge Chinese bulk ship spilling a little oil onto our Coral Reef area after it's crew went off course and hit reef.