I am not sure about 1956 300-Bs, but from 1957 forward, Chryslers all use
negative grounding.

300'ly, Gary Hagy

In a message dated 6/7/2010 2:36:09 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx writes:

I  misstated the reconnect sequence.  I meant to say reconnect the "hot"
cable first, the reverse sequence of the disconnect.  I say "hot" instead  of
"pos" or "neg" because our c300s are positive ground systems, making the
"hot" wires negative polarity.
--------------marshall

----------  Original Message ----------
From: Ray Jones  <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Chrysler 300 Broadcast  <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300]  Quick-Disconnect Battery Cable
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:45:31  -0500

Marshall is absolutely right. If the ground is  attached first, it's way
too easy for the carless wrench tightening the  positive cable to touch ground.

But, the real reason is that a battery  is a storage devise for stored
energy.
Electricity, the stored energy, is a  strange critter, it always wants to
work.
So if you hook up the ground  first, and one or more items in the car are
on, then there will be a spark as  the connector gets near the + terminal.
The stored energy will "Leap"  across the gap to go to work and supply the
items that are on, with  power.
If the + terminal is hooked up, and you are attaching the -, ground,  last,
then the work is done and there will be no or very little  spark.

This really comes in play if you have run down the battery and  there is
hydrogen gas laying on top of the battery. A product of heavy  discharge.
This is also why you ALWAYS attach the + jumper cable first to  the Battery
and the - cable to a ground somewhere away from the battery.
i  had a battery blow up in my face and I knew better, but was in a hurry
and  careless.

The watchband he tells about became the "work" since it  connected the
power to ground and the watchband, not being real work, created  a short.
A tiny light bulb is work as is a big starter motor, and the  electric
critter is happy dealing with them.
Take the work out and just  put the Positive to ground, and they call that
electric welding. Or in the  case above wrist burning.
Ray