Re: [Chrysler300] My Ballast Resistor Tales...

Re: [Chrysler300] My Ballast Resistor Tales...

  Matt Allyn,

  An ohmeter is a proper tool for approximate checks and continuity verification of unloaded circuits. Absolute value evaluation is not reliable. Too many variables.

  Chrysler publishes a spec for current flow. Current is the important thing. That would be hard for you to check.

  Your voltage checks verify that current is flowing and that your ballast resistors are working.

  Taking (assumig the value for a calculated resistance check) Chrysler spec 1.9 amperes at idle and your voltage readings, 14.2 and 11.5,  the voltage drop across your ballast resistor  is 2.7 volts and those numbers, I/E, yield a calculated ballast resistor resistance of 0.7 ohms which is close to book spec also.

  So, the conclusion would be that your current draw at idle is close to 1.9 amperes and not excessively higher than book spec and that is good..

  I have never verified actual running current in an ignition primary circuit but this is an interesting discussion. Ignition circuits are checked with an oscilloscope (ignition scope) in the field.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional