Re: [Chrysler300] Removing weather stripping form doors

Re: [Chrysler300] Removing weather stripping form doors

GooGone works, but it's rather like naphtha lite.  You still have to
work it - and it costs more.  With naphtha the solvent will make quick
work of the residue removal, and I've never found it to do the least
damage to any type of paint, plastics, or rubber.  Trying it on an
obscure area first is always smart, of course, but  you're going to like
how well it works.

BTW this is the same stuff that's in the little cans of cigarette
lighter fluid, which are great to keep around for removing gummy
stickers off of things.  But I usually pick naphtha up by the quart at a
paint store or a hardware store.

For even more fun with solvents, next time you get a grease or tar blob
on your carpet, grab your spray can of brake cleaner and shoot it right
on the carpet.  Give it a quick wipe with a paper towel or clean rag,
and it will be gone like magic in 15 seconds.  But just don't hit a
painted surface with it because it will cut into your finish.

Keith Boonstra

-

paul wrote:

> On 6/23/2010 3:35 PM, Larry Jabin wrote:
> > Does anybody have any suggestions for removing the weather stripping
> from the doors without ruining the paint in the door jams?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry Jabin
> > 300D
> >
> > Larry@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Larry%40pwbsfo.com><mailto:L.jabin1007@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:L.jabin1007%40pwbsfo.com>>
> >

> Someone showed up at the Tahoe meet with a 55 or 56, (cannt remember
> which) there was a dried up mess of old adhesive on the window chrome
> trim on the door. A careful application of Marvel Mystry oil helped to
> soften it up enough to start cleaning it off. I AM not sure about this
> on a paint surface,.
> On the Wifypoo's PT GT R/T we had to remove some dealer applied pin
> strip tape after it had been on the car 5 years.
> Once the bulk of the tape was off I used goo-gone on the remaining
> stickystuff. working in little steps and refreshing the goo-gone allowed
> me to clean all of the sticky stuff off very nicely.
> I used a wad of clean soft shop rags to work on the mess but we got it
> all off without harming the paint.
>
> IF you decide a chemical means is something you want to try, EXPEIRMENT
> on a painted item (maybe from a junk yard trip) that approximates your
> vintage paint surface!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: