Re: [Chrysler300] More On Vintage license plates

Re: [Chrysler300] More On Vintage license plates

My father was a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer beginning in 1960.  I do not
remember many dealer license plate frames at that time.

For new cars, we typically used a metal nameplate which was secured to the
body by two small screws.  This required drilling of two small holes into
the rear sheetmetal.  This is what most other dealers did, and,
surprisingly, I do not remember a single purchaser complaining about the
nameplate or the fact that holes were drilled into the sheetmetal.

We also had adhesive dealer name stickers which were used on the used cars.

We had a tool, best described as something like a heated wood chisel, to
remove the adhesive sticker of a prior dealer on cars which were traded in.
If there was a prior metal nameplate, the adhesive sticker covered the holes
left by its removal.

Best regards,

Jim in northern IL

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM, John Fowlie <bigmauto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I am aware of dealer license plate frames from as early as the thirties.
> They were quite common by the early fifties.
>
> John Fowlie
>
> Williams, Ca.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional