[Chrysler300] 300 H heating problem

Thanks to all who had ideas on how to solve my problem of a high
temperature indication before the theremostat opens.  All the suggestions were helpful
but Ed Lewis nailed it.  He suggested drilling out the thermostat bleed
hole to 3/32.  I removed the thremostat and found it had no bleed hole.  I
drilled one 1/8 dia. in the thermostat to let coolant circulate while the engine
was heating up.  This allowed the warm water jacket water to circulate by
the thermostat during warm up and solved the problem completely.  The
temperature gage now rises to the operating temperature then holds there
indefinetly.

I believe prior to this the hot water jacket coolant was kept in the jacket
until it was hot enough to conduct to the thermostat.  While this was
taking place the jacket temperature overheated.  Once the thermostat opened
everything was fine. I drilled the hole 1/8 which was 1/32 larger than Ed
recommended but I did not want to take that thermostat out again.
I was wearing out the bolts on the A/C compressor.

Thanks  again to everyone.

Rolland Westra

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional