RE: [Chrysler300] (unknown) (Electronic Distributor problems)

RE: [Chrysler300] (unknown) (Electronic Distributor problems)

Joe:

It is not clear what your problems are nor exactly which distributor /
electronic box you are talking about.

Is it an aftermarket setup or a Mopar setup?  From my experience, if it is
either the Mopar Orange box, or the Mopar Chrome box, once they start to
fail or if they finally just quit on you, just throw them away.  I wouldn't
even buy another one because it will eventually fail as well.  They have
never been exactly a hallmark of reliability.  Most people I know that have
used them in the past carry an extra orange or chrome box around just to
limp home on.  That is just my experience and what I have learned from posts
on the internet.

On one car I finally settled on a single point distributor with a Pertronix
kit in it.  This setup is for long distance runs and aims for long term
reliability.

I also carry another spare distributor and coil and ballast resistor in the
tool box in the trunk.  (Also - don't forget to carry a spare fuel pump and
actuator rod.)  I also carry a voltmeter to measure the voltage to the coil
both from the ballast resistor and when bypassing the resistor during start.

For another car, I bought a brand new aftermarket MSD unit that allows me to
fully adjust both the mechanical advance as well as the vacuum advance
timing.  Once I found what specifications seemed to work the best on my
particular engine / chassis, I sent in my stock MOPAR dual point distributor
and had it fully dialed in (by a racer friend of mine - on his distributor
machine) to those specs that I found worked the best for me.  He had to
highly modify the springs / linkages and weights in the stock distributor
and adjust the spring and spacers in the vacuum advance pot.

I am very happy with the improvement that this setup has provided.  It
really jumps off the line now but it still gives acceptable mileage figures.
Comparable to the mileage you get when driving a motor home.

The aftermarket MSD unit just sits on the shelf until I need to trouble
shoot any future problems.  It just looks too modern and spacey for the rest
of the engine compartment.  It is a very shiny / polished Billet aluminum
housing with huge spark plug wires and bright orange cap which just looks
out of place on the restored engine compartment.

Big John Mc Adams

(In Sunny but not that hot SoCal)

  _____