Re: [Chrysler300] battery Q?

  The dual batteries in a diesel pickup are connected in parallel. This connection provides twice power that is necessary to crank a diesel. One battery would be marginal to won't work at all. Connected in parallel, + to+ and  - to -, the batteries work best as a matched pair, capable of the same power contribution. When one gets weak, the other must bear more than half the load and this does not work very well and definately not for very long. Replacing in pairs is necessary so that they match as best can.

  One battery will start a diesel that has factory dual batteries. So, if one dies, a limp in with one battery connected and the other disconnected {(-) cable disconnected from battery (-) and insulated from ground] will work, sometimes, in decent weather. Both batteries to die at the same time is rare. But, even in the situation where one survivor battery still starts the truck, both batteries should be replaced.

  In our neck of the woods, three year battery life is not uncommon. Five years is real good. Desert heat and freezing cold and short tripping cuts battery life. I do have one fully functional ACDelco diesel starting battery retired to gas engine cranking that is 13 years old but that battery is a very rare case.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  Almost 300 related (since many of us use our Rams to pull our 300s)

  Q for the mechanics out there:

  On an '03 Ram Cummins with dual batteries, mine just started making a
  hesitation starting.
  Are both batteries used to crank the engine?
  Can you replace one or I'm guessing both? They are 7-8 years old now; been
  in warm whether the last 5 years.

  Thanks, JD

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional