Re: [Chrysler300] new member

Hi Brett and all Club members,
I'd like to share with you some of my experiences and opinions about your proposed 6v-12v conversion on the c300.  In October of '06 I purchased through ebay c300 3n552650.  It was a nearly complete car except for what should have been under the hood.  There was no engine and all of the engine mounted accessories were gone.  I pondered long how to proceed with the fix-up of my car with GREAT emphasis on avoiding irreversible changes, but less emphasis on absolute originality as I planned to drive the car quite a bit more than just for display purposes.  My brother and I have several '55 Chryslers to use as parts cars and that inventory of "stuff" included a New Yorker engine which I modified to near 300 specs for temporary use until I could find an original 300 engine.  Inspections of the car before beginning the fix-up revealed that a previous owner had been using 12v on the system, evidenced by the presence of a 12v neg ground voltage regulator on the firewall and 12v lamps in almost all locations including instrument lighting.  Still present in the car were the 6v heater motor, 6v defroster motor, 6v wiper motor and switch, 6v +gnd radio and 6v fuel gauge, temp gauge, and ammeter.  I thought I was favorably impressed with the conversion when I found that a resistor had been installed in the temp gauge sending unit wire (more about that later).

>From the factory my car did not have power steering, but in our inventory of old parts there are several extra systems, so I decided to convert using a 12v generator and pump from a '56 Imperial.  The pumps are interchangeable between '55 and '56 as are the generators either separately or as a single unit.  I also thought it would be good to charge my cell phone and/or use my GPS during extended  travels, both ideas facilitated by using 12v in the car's system.
Not long after I began driving the car I became suspicious that the temp indication was not exactly correct.  It would reach what appeared to be "normal" but I never detected it going high even when I was sure the engine was a bit hot (I had a clogged radiator).  I confirmed that the indication would not go above normal regardless of how hot the engine got.  Research of the gauge function in the '55 service manual indicated to me that the temp gauge (and fuel gauge) have 2 coils in them.  An electromagnet pulls the needle toward "C" as current flows through a coil which is grounded internally in the gauge.  Another electormagnet pulls the needle toward "H" as current flows through the sending unit at the water pump.  The sending unit resistance varies as the engine temp varies thus the equilibrium between the magnetic pulls of the 2 coils within the gauge is not constant and the needle position will change.  I think they designed it that way to overcome indicator variations that would  result from changes in sytem voltage that occur as the engine is speeded from idle.  Later Chryslers (12v) have instrumentation voltage regulators that operate at much less than 12v giving some protection against problems of system voltage changes.

You need to use  a temp gauge from a '56.
You need to use a fuel gauge and sending unit from a '56.  Sending unit has higher resistance.
You might want to use the ammeter from a '56 bacause if you use the '55 you have less sensitivity, i.e. any given charge or discharge will give you less needle deflection with the '55 gauge------doesn't hurt anything, but you might not like the slighter movement.
Blowers run too fast.
Wipers run too fast.  My wiper switch has a damaged rheostat that I believe is due to the 12v pushing too many amps through it.
Since starting the repairs on my car I've managed to find a "real c300 engine" that I will soon install.  It is probable that I will return all components to the original configuration (6v pos gnd) as I remain convinced that it can work perfectly well as it was designed provided that all components are maintained in good condition especially the battery of adequate size.
Enjoy your new treasuer,
Marshall Goodknight---------- Original Message ----------
From: "bhtharp" <bhtharp@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] new member
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:18:54 -0000

Hi, my name is Brett Tharp and I recently acquired C300 vin# 3N551484
and joined your club. My car is mostly restored, needing only chrome work and weatherstripping around the doors and windows to be cosmetically close to perfect. Before that happens, though, I would like feedback on my intended first project: having the entire wiring harness replaced, conversion to a 12-volt system, and having "Vintage Air" a/c installed. Since the power steering pump is mounted on the rear of the generator, would it make more sense to simply have the stock generator converted to a 12-volt generator, or have an alternator mounted and install an electric power steering pump? How about changimg the pulley and mounting an alternator that operates in conjunction with the generator? Do my power window motors and seat motors need to be replaced (like my potential installer has told me), or can resistors be installed so they will adapt? Any advice or opinions would be most welcome. Thanks!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)