From: Richard Barber <c300@xxxxxxx>
To: 'LHH225' <lhh225@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; John Lazenby <john@xxxxxxxxx>; Bob Linnenberger <pharmissy@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 8:02 pm
Subject: [Chrysler300] '55 Chrysler 300 radiator house source?

Leonard Hodgdon:

My non a/c C-300 has a molded hose, but no ID on it.  The water outlet/thermostat housing has a vertical outlet, the hose starts vertically, then has a couple of bends to the offset horizontal radiator connection.  The edge of the oil filler vent cap just touches the hose.

I just took my C-300 down to NAPA and found they did not have a molded hose for ’55-’56, but did have one for ‘57’s with or without a/c.  They did have a molded hose #9067 that looked like it might fit after being cut in half.  The ID may not fit over the block outlet.  Cost about $20.

I then visited Kragen who said they had one in stock.  It wasn’t a molded hose.

The Gates site referenced on our website only has flex hose for 1955 Chrysler 300’s.  However, it looks to be a valuable site.  See:  http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3002      The Goodyear parts catalog has only a flex hose.  Ditto, Dayco which says inlet and outlet are 1.75”.  If none of these major manufacturers is making/stocking/selling the molded hoses, good used and NOS may be quite valuable.

Parts book numbers indicate there were a wide range of hoses:
Top hose “inlet”:  55-56 w/o a/c:  1615493, w/a/c: 1637669
Lower hose “outlet”: ’55-’56 Windsor:  1616229; NY, Imp, 300: 1558435; ’56 w/a/c: 1670490.
The water outlet part number for all ’55-’56 Chryslers is the same for all models 1536376.

Andy Bernbaum shows a molded hose (J-221) in his parts catalog, but it is too late in the day to confirm availability and price.  See:  http://www.oldmoparts.com/j.htm

Let’s go to the consultants and server to see if anyone has a source for the ’55 or ’56 upper and lower molded radiator hoses.

C-300’ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA