Re: [Chrysler300] 300 H bottom finish

Carlton and All:
All 300Hs were undercoated.  I am quite sure, judging by my original,  and
others, that this was applied AFTER the exhaust system was in place, due to
the "shadowing" pattern on the underbody.  Same thing on my 300F.  The
fuel tank was also installed and undercoating covered it as well.  The  300H,
like all unit body cars was sent thru a dip tank prior to spray on primer
and painting.  Usually the dip prime covered the upper part of the front of
the fenders as the car entered, and up into the upper rear quarters as it
exited.  I would think the dip prime at the dashpanel ("firewall") area  would
probably be around a foot and one-half or so from the bottom, but would be
covered with the color coat at any rate.  There will be a line at that
level seen when the fender is removed.  This primer was a water based  product
and was rinsed off the outer body immediately after the dip tank to  avoid
having to sand out the baked paint edge later---and to save primer,  too.
300ly, gil C.

In a message dated 8/12/2010 12:53:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,