Re: [Chrysler300] Blocking Intake Manifold Heat Channels

Re: [Chrysler300] Blocking Intake Manifold Heat Channels

  What is happening with the heat riser passages blocked off is that the air/fuel mixture is coming apart. The fuel is condensing on the floor of the cold manifold, leaning out the mixture getting to the engine. This fuel then dumps in not mixed with air and causes problems like cylinder washing and sludging and carbon buildup.

  Unless there is port fuel injection or the vehicle is running on gaseous fuel the heated passage is necessary for cold operation. Carbureted racing applications block the passages and run flat out OK but only after warmup.

  Carbureted vehicles I work with have 180 deg stats and heat deflection plates under the carburetor and I do not touch the accelerator on hot restarts. This works as well as can be expected I think.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ
  (Hot and dry and high altitude; great fuel bowl boiling opportunities)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)