RE: [Chrysler300] 300D hood release

I remember the Chrysler 300 Club Inc. meet in 1990 in Sacramento, when the owner of a beautiful coral 300C convert pulled in to the hotel with a towel around his head.  I believe his name was Eric Baltzar.  His hood latch failed and it came up and back and hit the windshield header and bonked him on the head.  He was not seriously injured, thankfully, but it was the talk of the meet as to how the early hood latches were unsafe compared to the later cars.

Bob J

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jlsavard@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:43 AM
To: kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx; tchvapil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300D hood release

Trivia from the ancient past:
On the day of the press introduction of the 1957 Chryslers, the Carburetor
Laboratory, where I was working, had the only C300 C available for the
press to drive. Persons were assigned to drive the car from Central
Engineering to the Chelsea proving grounds for this REALLY BIG occasion. Remember,
these were brand-new bodies, then, and the C300's had a hood and front end
design totally different from anything else. They were RARE!

On the way out to the P.G., the hood latch totally failed, and the hood
blew up and back over the windshield of the test car. No other cars or hoods
were available, so Chrysler was forced to use that car for demonstrations,
kinks and all!

I'm pretty sure that any changes in latch design were influenced by that
event!

Joe Savard, Lake Orion, Michigan

In a message dated 9/16/2010 10:01:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,