Re: [Chrysler300] Tach Cable Lube & Console - 300H

Re: [Chrysler300] Tach Cable Lube & Console - 300H

Hi Matt,
Your local Auto Parts supplier, Pep Boys, NAPA dealer, AutoZone...etc , should have what you need. A tube of Speedometer Cable Lube or a tube of White Lithium Grease should work.  My tube of Speedometer Cable Lube is old and it's a clear grease.  If you can not find a tube of Speedometer Cable Lube  look at the lubes and see if they list Speedometer Cables on their list of Applications. I believe that Lubriplates White Lithium Grease does have this listed on their tube.  Whatever type you use, it should be a light grease, not thick and heavy and also not thin like oil.

While you are doing cable maintenance you might as well do the Speedometer Cable too.  You'll have the Tach Cable done in minutes and the Speedometer Cable lube job should only add 30 to 60 minutes  to the task.
Here is how I do mine :
Remove the cable from the rear of the speedometer.
Pull the cable from the casing.
Clean and Inspect the cable.
I then Place some grease in the cable housing and insert some of the cable. As I insert the cable I am turning the cable to get a good coverage of the cable.
 As the cable slides in it will take some grease with it.
Keep adding more grease where the cable enters the housing as you turn in the cable until you have it fully inserted.

 Your cables should now be well lubricated and should be trouble free for a long time.

Of course I am in no way an expert in any of this. This is just from my experience  and it has worked well with me. Your results may vary depending on your abilities and what your procedures are.

Good Luck and Happy 300'ing

Lion Charlie Valentine
300G, 1962 300 Sport Convertible