Re: [Chrysler300] Disc Brake Conversion for 300G

Re: [Chrysler300] Disc Brake Conversion for 300G

Hi all again:

I too wondered why I should have a proportioning valve on my '66 300.
What woke me up was back about 20 years ago on my way to a 300 Club meet north
of Seattle, I was crossing the bridge over the Columbia River in Portland.
 I was cruising along when all of a sudden I had no brakes but the
emergency  brake.  I put it to good use and quickly got off the freeway at the next
exit.  Problem was that I had made an adjustment to the push rod in Grants
Pass and it caused the fluid to back up into the master, taking fluid out
of the  lines to the brakes.

You can fast forward with this story with a scenario where one of the brake
 lines fails for some reason.  The result will be the same ... no  brakes.
If you have ever tried to put the binders on with an open  cylinder, your
foot will hit the floor.

But, with a proportioning valve and a dual master cylinder, you have 2
separate circuits.  One for the front wheels and one for the rears.   With a
proportioning valve, the rears contact first and then are followed by the
fronts which do the majority of work to stop the vehicle.  This helps to  keep
the car from swapping ends.  Unless you have a major catastrophy  wherein
the master is wiped out, you have either the fronts to stop with or the
rears.  So, your odds of stopping and avoiding a collision are  doubled.

I am very happy I put a dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve on
my '66 300 vert. and my F.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA

In a message dated 10/12/2010 7:39:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,