Re: [Chrysler300] Disc Brake Conversion for 300G

Re: [Chrysler300] Disc Brake Conversion for 300G

Hi all:

In regards to the email that J.D. wrote, here is an excerpt from a web site
 I found that perhaps clears up this thing abut the proportioning valve.
It  probably explains it better than I can.  By the way, no matter how I
try, with my F, I cannot lock up my brakes but it comes to a stop in a mighty
big hurry.  Seems to me I am getting more use of the friction between the
tires and the road than I would if the brakes were locked up and I am
skidding  out of control headed for who knows what.  So guess which scenario I
desire.
********
Proportioning Valve
The proportioning  valve reduces the pressure to the rear brakes.
Regardless of what type of brakes  a car has, the rear brakes require less force than
the front brakes.

The amount of brake force that can be applied to a wheel without locking it
 depends on the amount of weight on the wheel. More weight means more brake
force  can be applied. If you have ever slammed on your brakes, you know
that an abrupt  stop makes your car lean forward. The front gets lower and the
back gets higher.  This is because a lot of weight is transferred to the
front of the car when you  stop. Also, most cars have more weight over the
front wheels to start with  because that is where the engine is located.
If equal braking force were applied at all four wheels during a stop, the
rear wheels would lock up before the front wheels. The proportioning  valve
only lets a certain portion of the pressure through to the rear wheels so
that the front wheels apply more braking force. If the proportioning valve
were  set to 70 percent and the brake pressure were 1,000 pounds per square
inch (psi)  for the front brakes, the rear brakes would get 700 psi.
***********************
So, without a proportioning valve all brakes receive the same amount  of
braking pressure thus assuring that the rear brakes will lock up first  and
probably causing one to drive using the rear view mirror, backwards, that  is.
 By the way, an old rule in racing is that if you need more brakes,
install a smaller master cylinder ... but that's a whole new topic which I do  not
want to get into.
So there you have it, I don't know what else I can say.  I sleep well  at
night knowing I have the correct equipment on my car to stop it and protect
my investment.

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA
300F
1966 300 Convertible
1956 Dodge Custom Royal
1886 Benz

In a message dated 10/13/2010 10:05:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,