[Chrysler300] gas tank collapse '59

  I have been driving my E for several weeks since restoring it, going
thru about 2 1/2 tanks of gas. When filling, the gas pump does not shut
off before overflowing. I installed an inline electric pump for priming
when it has not been run for awhile, operated by a pushbutton. Otherwise
stock. I put in a new repo gas tank & sending unit. While driving on
multilane roads with no gravel, it has sounded like a stone flew up &
hit the underside of the car a few times. After the last fill, the gas
guage hasn't moved from full even though I estimate it should be close
to 1/2. When I crawled under the car today to give the tank a few thumps
with a gloved hand, I saw the tank had imploded at all 4 corners,
probably holding the sending unit near the top of the tank. No leaks.
Haven't found anything in manuals about venting. Anyone have any ideas
why the tank would do this? It is buckled up from all 4 corners on the
underside of the tank. Less than 400 miles on the car. Thks.

Lindsey in Winnipeg.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: