[Chrysler300] Fear not, 300 H owners

 Hi all:

That was my 62H that went for 19K at Mecum last night. I am sorry that it seems to have sent a "value shock wave" throughout many members. Things are not always what they seem. A confluence of unfortunate events, bad timing on my part and a silly policy at my aunt's assisted living facility that, if you are neither "poor" or "undocumented", they would appreciate over $5K the first of each month, combined to influence my decision to accept the extremely low final bid last night. Frankly, I had listed the car with a reserve of $32K. It was definitely worth it.

Disaster struck the night before as my 1957 Thunderbird E Code died just before getting to the auction block (Lot #274). It would not start and had to be pushed onto and off of the block; a true "kiss of death" at any car auction. That left me in a serious financial position and necessitated my decision concerning the 300H and my 65 Falcon (Lot # T299) just before the 62H. To paraphrase the Geico commercials faux auctioneer: "Why this Falcon is exquisite and the 300H is in mint condition. Ma'am, I'd say if they were to go to auction today, they would be worth 'two in the bush'".

The entire crew at Mecum was highly professional and could not have been more helpful. They run a good, tight ship. Not once while my cars were on the block did I feel pressured from anyone to sell cheap. The T-Bird disaster on Wednesday and my poor choice of auction nights were major motivators in my difficult decision for both cars Thursday.

My advice, don't despair. Your letter cars are truly a work of art and are quite valuable. I have found that the bidders Wednesday and Thursday here at Mecum seem to care far more about raw horsepower than the esoteric value of true classic cars. The assembled group of bidders were spare and largely beer guzzling meatheads, to put it nicely.

I hope my diatribe allays your fears.

Brian Foley

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional