Re: [Chrysler300] 1957-1958 300C & D Front Arm Rest Supports

Re: [Chrysler300] 1957-1958 300C & D Front Arm Rest Supports

There is a way to repair them with the material they repair the modern sift bumpers. I did mine for my 300C coupe 10 years ago and they are still perfect. After applying the flexible filler, I used a belt sander to plane them down to original shape. Then used much finer belts to smooth them out. After that, I primed and painted them with beige vinyl paint. They are strong don't get mis-shaped from the heat or stress. When I bought my car in 1999, the previous owner had cast a pair from plaster of Paris and they weighed a ton. I plan to do mine for our 300C convertible in the next couple weeks and I will document the procedure and post it for others to use if they desire.

George

Sent from my iPhone 4

On Feb 27, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Keith Boonstra <kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Larry,you just pulled my chain. I've been working on this along with
> Mike Burke and Jim Bartuska ever since about last August. The Eastern
> Club is planning to make these available as a project. I've never heard
> of anyone who has a really nice pair either on or off a '57-'59 car. A
> combination of bad plastic materials used and stress on the two screws
> holding them to the door did every last one of them in. The problem in
> reproducing them has been that a lot of tricky functions and shapes all
> have to happen at once on these things, and we have been trying to
> accomplish this without springing for something like 20-25K for an
> injection mold.
>
> What we are working on involves a multi-part vacuum mold process that
> will cost about half as much. We have a company that is interested and
> has put a fair amount of work into it already. I made up a perfect
> model in mahogany for them way back last fall, and we've picking away at
> the project ever since. The delay has been getting them to fast-track
> it because they've been pretty busy. Frankly, so far it's been hard to
> get them to focus on any kind of a schedule. My contact there will be
> back from vacation (again) tomorrow morning, and I have it on my to-do
> list to become a bit of a badger with him on the subject.
>
> I need a pair myself as badly as anyone; and I know I've said this
> before, but I hope within the next few weeks to have some true progress
> to report.
>
> Keith Boonstra
>
> -
>
> On 2/26/2011 9:43 PM, Larry Jabin wrote:
> >

> > 1957-1958 300C & D Front Arm Rest Supports
> >
> > I know this has been discussed in the past & someone was working on these
> > Anyone heard anything lately
> >
> > Also if anyone has a decent pair they want to sell please let me know.
> > I know they won't be cheap
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry Jabin
> > San Francisco..