Re: [Chrysler300] Power brake booster question

Re: [Chrysler300] Power brake booster question

I have dealt with Booster Dewey for years.
Yes, I dealt with him last year and my experience has ALWAYS been positive!

Here's my story:

I have been waking up my 300H after a 15 year sleep. (Sorry I won't have it in Carmel this Sunday whenI visit, but we are going out of town and will miss the show).
I have not been fond of the brakes at all, so I got all new shoes, turned the drums for the last time, rebuilt the backing plates adjustment mechanism, new wheel cylinder, new master cylinder, and sent the booster off to Booster Dewey for rebuild.

I got a call later from him. Dewey wanted to know if I wanted it painted or left cad.
I told him it had always been black etc and a long discussion ensued.

In the process, I read him the shop manual discussion of the booster, which included the line "dual diaphragm booster" .

He stopped me and said "This is a single diaphragm booster."

He found a correct core for me, and rebuilt it.
That was our Christmas present in 2009.

I checked with NAPA and found that for a 300H, they supply the single diaphragm booster. I also saw the incorrect single diaphragm booster listed in a club publication which lists the parts NAPA has which fit our cars. That p/n is all they sell and it is incorrect even though it fits.
I did some research looking at pictures of 300H's with the hoods up. Many of them have the wrong booster!

In summary, I put the rebuild dual diaphragm  booster in the car, then adjusted the pushrod which goes into the master cylinder until I had about .040  (this was a huge guess as I can find no data except a warning to not adjust it!).

I now have much better brakes and feel more secure driving the car.

I found an article I wrote back in 1985 when I picked up the car from the shop in Quincy Illinois who had rebuilt engines, brakes, and transmission. I noted i the article that the brakes were much lower and worse than I had remembered, (We've had this car since 1964). That must have been when the wrong booster was installed.

I do not know if your car was supposed to have a dual diaphragm booster or not, but I would sure check on that first in the shop manual.
Mike Moore

Morgan Hill, Ca
Cdr. Carl Benjamin Austin's 300 H

On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Dave Schwandt wrote:

> OK, I should know tghis already but.....
>
> Been planning on sending a booster assly off to Booster Dewey to get rebuilt.
> I have several extras to choose from ratther than sending the one that's currently on the F
> and being virtually off the road till it gets back.
>
> Are boosters from say New Yorkers, Newports etc the same as what's on the F or are there
> some differences that are outwardly (or innerdly (is that a word?) noticeable??
>
> Has anyone here dealt with Dewey in the past and what was your dealings positive?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave Schwandt

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional