[Chrysler300] LSMFT Media Coverage

Hello, everyone:

Per Larry Jett's request, I prepared the following for his meet. It appeared in
the June 3 issue of the Cedar Street Times (page 6). A follow-up piece was
published in the Times on June 10. There may be more coverage of which I am
unaware. I would be glad to work with other club meet organizers in the future
to help publicize their events.

Best,
Ron Kurtz
E# 292

America's fist muscle cars to be on display in Monterey, California

Early Chrysler 300s set speed records at Daytona and Bonneville

Monterey, California -- Some 50 early examples of the fabled Chrysler 300,
arguably America's first muscle cars, will be on display June 8, 2011 at the
first-ever meeting of the Chrysler 300 Club International and the Chrysler 300
Club Inc.

To stay competitive with Chevrolet's Corvette, introduced in 1953, and Ford's
introduction of the 1955 Thunderbird, Chrysler decided to launch a series of
high-powered, full-sized cars. The first 300 model, a low-production car with
300 horsepower, rolled off the assembly line in 1955 to the cheers of the crew
that built the car. According to one report, "It rode like a truck and idled
rough, but it had the maneuverability of a pole pony and the speed of the wind."
The 300 went on to break about every record in the book at Daytona's Speed Week
that year.

Subsequent 300s saw bumps in horsepower that kept them in front of the pack. In
1958 a 300 set a speed record of 156 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, a
record that stood for many years. In 1960, a 400-horsepowered 300 sped to 144
mph at NASCAR's Flying Mile event, a record that stands to this day for a
production car. Another 300 set a record of 88 mph at the event's Standing Start
Mile.

About 20 percent of these low-production cars (for example, only 400 were built
in 1963) remain and still cruise down the highways and byways, on their way to
club meets, shows and, occasionally, to race tracks. Both clubs were started
about 40 years ago and a few members have faithfully restored many of these
early 300s to their original condition.

"Over the years we have become a 300 family," said Larry Jett, Monterey meet
organizer and owner of of a 1960 300. "We started with cars and ended with
people." Jett went on to say members enjoy coming to these events to have a good
time, share stories and trade tips about their restoration experience. He noted
cars are coming from as far as New Jersey, Ohio and Tennessee. Some members will
come without cars and one member from Sweden plans to attend. All told the clubs
have 1,300 members in 48 states and 16 countries.

The display will take place June 8, 2011, 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Coco's
Restaurant, 300 David Avenue in Monterey.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)