[Chrysler300] Fall Meet & L iterature

Good Afternoon,

In about 3 months we will be headed for Lake George NY.  It is historic--I mean maybe the meet is historic--but for sure the area is.  Rob will have us aboard a tourist boat on Lake George and lead us up to Fort Ticonderoga and Lake Champlain as well.  I guess we will also go to Saratoga, the name they gave the town after Chrysler's mid-level model  (or is that backwards?).  They race horses there, there was a Revolutionary War battle nearby, and an auto museum (full of Saratoga's do you suppose?).  But I digress.

I recalled from my dim and dark past that a Maine novelist--Kenneth Robert's--wrote a couple of historical novels about pre-revolutionary America, and particularly that part of the country we are going to.  In the first part of Northwest Passage,  published in 1937, he tells the story of a young Mainer who walks across NH and VT to join Roger's Rangers, an expeditionary force that went north up Lake Champlain and raided the indians at St. Francis in Quebec.  There are several chapters that describe the area and the conditions the raiders lived through.

If hysterical--I'm sorry--historical fiction interests you, this is a good read, and will give you some perspective on this part of New York State and Vermont.  I'm betting that the book is in your local public library, and likely hasn't been off the shelves for some time--so it's available.

It is my plan to drive the L, but it is about 40 miles further than it has even gone to a meet successfully in modern times.  So, if worse comes to wurst, I may have to walk part way--just like Langdon Towne, the book's hero.

300L ly,

Doug
Doug Mayer
Northport, Maine