[Chrysler300] Small World-Chassis & Engine Reunited

[Chrysler300] Small World-Chassis & Engine Reunited

Shortly after I joined both Chrysler 300 clubs, I inquired of Honorary
Cuzzin' Gil Cunningham as to how many C-300's were sold at the Friedman
Chrysler-Plymouth dealership in Des Moines.  I was hoping to find a link to
the first Chrysler C-300 I ever saw-at age 16 or 17 in Des Moines.   Cuzzin'
Gil had to do some backwards searching of the microfilm files, but did
advise me that only one C-300 had been shipped to Friedman's-and that it was
in our registry as still being owned by club member Dan Haffner who lives in
SE Iowa.  I got in touch with Dan and visited him and the car with some hope
of purchasing and restoring it.  The previous owner had been a soldier who
was KIA in Viet Nam.  His parents had apparently sold the engine and stored
the car outside where Dan had spotted it and purchased it.

In anticipation of negotiating a purchase, I jumped at the opportunity to
buy a disassembled C-300 engine for sale in Altoona IA by former member Rene
Kroeger .  Rene had transported our C-300 to CA from Omaha in 2004.
Eventually, Dan Hafner decided to keep the white C-300 and restore it
himself.  So, I offered to sell him the authentic C-300 block for
installation in his rusty C-300.  He agreed and came to Des Moines where my
real Cuzzin' Charley had stored the engine.  The engine was OK and Dan paid
me what I had in it.

Dan later called me to let me know the engine was the original engine from
his C-300.  I love it when a plan comes together.  Thanks to Cuzzin' Gil (my
mom was a Cunningham) and the amazing network of Chrysler 300 folks who work
together to renew engines and chassis'.

And my heartfelt thanks to the unknown Iowa soldier who had acquired the car
and gave his life so that we might live in peace and enjoy our lives and
hobbies.  Also, thanks to his parents for keeping the car from the crusher.

Now, onward to my next project-the resurrection and documented restoration
of the Roman Red Poly , A/C, Tilt Wheel, '64K ram engine convertible.   I'm
waiting on the bid process to find an enclosed truck or trailer to bring it
from NC to CA.  It has been resting and waiting for me since 1979 and it's
about time for it to wake up and smell the tire smoke!  I still don't know
if it has the original ram block as it now has a single 4-bbl carb. &
manifold on it.  Stay tuned, film & still shots at 11.

C-300-K'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

<*> Your email settings: