RE: [Chrysler300] Disc brake conversion

Ron:

First, let me state that since my 1962 Chrysler 300 ragtop is ONLY a "Sport"
and NOT a true Letter Car, I have modified it considerably and call it a Hot
Rod.  It contains many stock looking parts and many of them were available
as options, but it is far from original as the factory built it.

I used the M/C that came in the kit as recommended by Roger at AAJ Brakes.

Since I also installed a Short Cross Ram setup on my '62 Sport Ragtop I had
to replace the stock 1962 booster and M/C for clearance purposes.  I found
an Oval metal Can type of brake booster from a '60 Imperial (with the
complete pedal assembly) and installed it onto my firewall and installed the
AAJ M/C in the normal position under the booster.  It is shallow enough to
be installed there.  It is a pain in the arse to get the single bolt and
cover off to check the fluid level but once the M/C cover is removed, I just
use a small bottled water bottle with the push/pull cap/valve on it and use
that to fill the M/C with brake fluid.  I also had to modify the short
vacuum port (tube) on the Imperial booster to have a short 90 degree bend
towards the engine to clear the driver's side air cleaner.  When I had the
booster rebuilt, they did the bent vacuum port modification for me prior to
powder coating the assembly for me.

The only 1962 Chrysler300 car that I have ever seen photos of that was
ordered with the 405 HP Short Ram option was the one entered by Hot Rod
Magazine in the Winter Nationals.  It was a radio and heater delete car with
manual brakes.  No vacuum assist on the brakes.  That sounds scary to me
with those stock 12 inch Center Pain (sic) brakes.

Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)