Re: [Chrysler300] 3N55 1004

Rich, John, and All:

This VIN has been in our Club records since the early seventies.  I  had
always envisioned it as a cared for and protected Tango Red C300.   How naive
of me!!

I am going to take this opportunity to set the record straight on early
C300 colors.  The seller's assertion about the 10 straight red C300s is not
accurate.  It is based on Bill Carroll's article detailing the history of
the 300 in the August, September, and October, 1961 issues of Car and  Driver.
 He states the first C300 was white (platinum) followed by 10 red  ones for
announcement showing.  He even quotes Bob Rodger as saying "I got  a real
thrill standing at the window and looking over the ten.  They looked  like
little red Ferraris among the taller production coupes."
Now....according to the microfilm record, there was only ONE red car in the
 first ten----the car, #1004, on ebay.  That makes the ebay car the first
original Tango Red C300.  In fact, in the first 50 C300s, there are only 3
Reds, and only 2 Blacks.  The rest are Platinum.  How this discrepancy  is
explained, I have not a clue.  I sure have always wondered about  it, though.
 Of the first 11, only 1001---which I have seen, and it is  Platinum---and
this car, 1004 are known to exist.

300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 7/26/2011 12:15:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,