Re: [Chrysler300] Can't Get Good Gas Anymore?

Re: [Chrysler300] Can't Get Good Gas Anymore?

Hi All:
The hemispherical (more properly---I guess---spherical segment) combustion
chamber engine is more---perhaps much more---tolerant of lower octane
fuel.  The main reason is that the fuel air mixture is compressed much more
evenly than in the wedge chamber engine where there are uneven, tight  "squish"
areas to cause premature heating and resulting pre-ignition.  My  personal
experience with this characteristic involved running my 300C on Sunoco  190
in the '60's with no trouble at all--even with 10:1 compression ratio
resulting from a .040" head shave.  Car ran good, too.  Lots of full  throttle
runs, pushing the "2" button when the speedo said 60 mph.  Of  course the ole
torqueflite wasn't quite as happy about that as the engine  was.  Ah, those
were the days!
300ly, Gil Cunningham

In a message dated 7/29/2011 7:53:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,