Re: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your hot mishap!!
Cound have been much worse!!!

Never, NEVER go aywhere in aon old car w/o an extinguisher!!!

Sure hope you weren't using heater hose in place of the lo-pressure
return line.

Be sure and get the correct oil resistant P/S return line hose.
NAPA should have it

NOTE TO EVERYONE:  DO NOT use HEATER HOSE for any oil application!!!

Dave Schwandt
---- Tom Cox <tdcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Had a scary moment yesterday. Traveled 40 miles at 70 mph or so, got off the
> interstate, was waiting at a traffic light and smelled smoke but didn't see
> any. Light changed, moved forward and smoke came barreling out the engine
> bay. Got off the road, opened hood and saw fire coming up from the passenger
> side underneath the exhaust manifold. Closed hood, jumped in car, found a
> restaurant, went in,  but no one around. Went behind the bar, grabbed a 5
> gallon bucket half full of water and soap, ran outside and put out fire. By
> that time the fire was licking the carb and wiring on passenger side of
> engine compartment.
>

> Figured out that the low pressure power steering return hose had apparently
> gotten too close to the heat tubes, hose failed and that power steering
> fluid had soaked the asbestos wrap I had put around items that were close to
> the exhaust manifold, and fire had started.
>

> Car runs but I had it towed home. Am getting new, better hose for power
> steering pump.
>

> Lessons learned:
>
> Don't leave home without a fire extinguisher;
>
> Check hoses and anything else near exhaust manifold and heat tubes to make
> certain nothing gets too hot.
>

> Could have been worse; I am thankful for a lesson learned without a
> disastrous consequence.
>

> Get a fire extinguisher and keep it in the passenger cabin!!!!!!!!! I am
> today.
>

> Tom Cox

> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm

<*> Your email settings: