  From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Tom Cox
  Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 6:23 AM
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Engine Fire

  Had a scary moment yesterday. Traveled 40 miles at 70 mph or so, got off
the
  interstate, was waiting at a traffic light and smelled smoke but didn't
see
  any. Light changed, moved forward and smoke came barreling out the engine
  bay. Got off the road, opened hood and saw fire coming up from the
passenger
  side underneath the exhaust manifold. Closed hood, jumped in car, found a
  restaurant, went in, but no one around. Went behind the bar, grabbed a 5
  gallon bucket half full of water and soap, ran outside and put out fire.
By
  that time the fire was licking the carb and wiring on passenger side of
  engine compartment.

  Figured out that the low pressure power steering return hose had
apparently
  gotten too close to the heat tubes, hose failed and that power steering
  fluid had soaked the asbestos wrap I had put around items that were close
  the exhaust manifold, and fire had started.

  Car runs but I had it towed home. Am getting new, better hose for power
  steering pump.

  Lessons learned:

  Don't leave home without a fire extinguisher;

  Check hoses and anything else near exhaust manifold and heat tubes to make
  certain nothing gets too hot.

  Could have been worse; I am thankful for a lesson learned without a
  disastrous consequence.

  Get a fire extinguisher and keep it in the passenger cabin!!!!!!!!! I am
  today.

  Tom Cox

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional