Re: [Chrysler300] Rear End 300F-fUN WITH NUMBERS

On 8/28/2011 2:31 AM, Rich Barber wrote:
> I've spotted a reference for the 9.00 X 14 tire on the 300F as having an OD
> of 28.68".

> Assuming no slippage:

> MPH=(3,000*Pi*28.68*60)/(3.23*12*5280)=79.2 MPH.

> RPM @ 60 mph=2,273 RPM

> Axle Ratio to give 60 MPH @ 3,000 RPM: 4.26    One reference says the
> available ratios ranged from 2.73 to 3.91.

> From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of jean-yves chouinard

> I could be wrong here, but isn't the 300F rear end ratio 3:31 to 1 ?
> And the 300G ratio 3:23 to 1??
> I know , not a huge difference...and I agree with Don, 3000 rpm seems high
> at just 60mph...
> Jean-Yves

Side note for comparison purposes:  my 'hot-rod' truck has a 3:55 sure
grip rear and tall tires, at 60mph it reads between 2400 and 2500 on the
tachometer.

Now it doesn't really matter a whole lot to me because of all the work
that went into building 'FrankenTruck'. I expected about that
circumstance. It doesn't care if its empty or the bed is fully loaded,
it runs real nice.

Nutter side note.  MANY years ago, about 1974, I junked a 4 door
NewYorker. One of the things off it that I kept was rear axle assembly,
complete drum to drum. About 10 years ago I finally decided to dig it
out and do something with it. Turns out that rear had been played with
some time before I got it back then. We discovered that it had a 1970
dated center section, Sure-Grip :-) with a 3:73 ratio.
Needless to say I kept the assembly, a 3:73 ratio 1957 8-3/4" with
sure-grip sure sounds like it could be fun for playing around with.

--
Paul Holmgren
Mine: 2 57 300-C's in Indy

<*> Your email settings: