[Chrysler300] Recap of recent 300G work

Well, I got my power steering gear and pump rebuilt, reinstalled and had the
car aligned.  Not an easy job and challenging because I had the remove the
steering gear twice because the coupler wasn't set right on the splines.
I'd like to blame the rebuilder, but I don't think that would be fair as my
front end tie rods have very little adjustment so the coupler had to be very
close or the steering wheel wouldn't be straight.  Anyway, it is done and
steers beautifully, straight, down the road with no pulling, weird noises or
leaks!.  I had the alignment shop put in as much caster as they could, about
2 degrees, 0 camber and slight toe-in, about 1/8".  Car tracks nice!

While I was busy in the engine compartment, and had time to spend on other
things, I found a local old line auto parts store that had the holy grail
vacuum hose for the power brakes in stock!  Yes,  he had both the 15/32" and
the 11/32" in his old stock so I replaced that.  I ordered and installed a
new plug wire set from Lectric Limited, very nicely made, even date coded
correctly for my car, and with the obtuse angled boot at #3.  New
distributor cap and rotor and decided to finally install the Pertronix
system I bought years ago and never got around to installing.

I got out the tech bulletins showing the proper tune procedures for ram cars
and followed it exactly as stated.  I must say the car runs fantastic!  Nice
idle, no stalling when putting it in gear and no pinging!  All these years I
have been setting the timing manually just advancing the timing until it
started to ping, as it seemed that was the only way to eliminate it, but
evidently I've been wrong.  I followed the book exactly and set it at 5
degrees advanced without the vacuum line attached and with the line plugged.
Then went on to do the linkage alignment, and idle settings.  the engineers
that wrote the procedure knew what they were doing!   Even with today's
premium 10% alcohol gas it doesn't ping.  I'm amazed.

Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: