From: Miklas <ldmiklas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Ryan Hill <ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx>; chrysler300 <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Sep 21, 2011 12:26 am
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Car Haulers for Chrysler 300's

Hi Ryan

My $.02 worth:

I've had a few enclosed trailers. I'm no expert at all, but have learned
over the years to

1)  Get a trailer with a ONE PIECE roof. Seams will ALWAYS leak!!

2)  Get the heavier axles - 10,000Lb rated at least if you want good service
out of it. You can buy a moderate price trailer and just  upgrade the axle
package.

3)  I always get an "escape door" on the left side. With a 300, I think it's
a necessity unless you are VERY thin and lithe.

4)  Unless you're towing with a "dually" pick-up truck, I  highly recommend
a "load-equalizer hitch" system.

5)  Ask your dealer to expound on the quality of the door hinges and the
cable system for the loading door. These very small items can cause major
problems at the worst times. If they offer an "upgrade" , it is for a
reason.

6)  Though not necessary, I personally think a "finished interior" is always
well worth it in the long run the small initial cost. It helps with
condensation problems which is very important.
It definitely pays off at re-sale. A plywood floor is fine, but it will need
painted or sealed to protect it. If it comes with  linoleum floor, be
forewarned to let your car cool down before loading it - hot tires and hot
oil will ruin it. Aluminum "non-skid" treads are available for the tires...
and recommended with the linoleum.

I use my trailer a lot...  one thing I wouldn't be without is interior
lighting. I have overheads and floor level for use when securing the car.
The lights run off the tow vehicle when the wiring harness is plugged in.
WELL WORTH the initial cost.

Another thing I wouldn't be without is a WINCH. Mine has paid for itself
dozens of times! You can get a very adequate SuperWinch for about $275.00,
but the floor has to be re-inforced for it. If you don't want to spend the
money for a winch right now, it is well worth the $ and simpler  to get the
reinforcement plate installed now. (This is standard in some "up-scale"
trailer brands)

A 20 ft trailer seems to short to me. Mine is a 24 ft, and when I haul 300s,
the front of the car is about a foot or more past the side door opening. On
a 20 ft model, the door will open into the side of the car and you will have
to slide along the side of the car to get to the front, where you will have
very little room to operate your tie-down ratchets. You also have to watch
the location of the floor hold down loops. On a 20 footer, they might not be
far forward enough to allow operation of the ratchet under a 300.  (Been
there) I'd suggest actually loading your car and securing it down before you
purchase.

Get  a spare tire on a secure mount with a lock provision. You will need it
at some time.

I've had HallMark trailers with axle upgrades  that were just fine. My
current one is a 1993 US CARGO that has held up exceptionally well.

White is cooler and easier to keep clean!

Jeff Miklas