RE: [Chrysler300] 413 oil pump

Bob:

I?m just curious, do you have any idea what the actual PSI in the engine is
when the Oil pressure gauge on the dash reads ½ to 2/3rds?  I would suggest
you plumb in an actual (direct reading) pressure gauge to the block to see
just what the pressure is, compared to what the dash gauge says.  Of course
to see whether it actually drops to zero at warm (or hot) idle you will have
to run the pressure line up to the cockpit so you can read it while
driving/idling.

If you don?t want the second gauge mounted under the dash, or duct taped to
the steering column (just kidding) just remove it after the analysis is
made.  Some of those direct reading pressure gauges use a small diameter
plastic tube that runs from the fitting on the block to the back of the
gauge.  Be sure that all of the air is purged from this tube (at the gauge
end) for proper readings.  I usually disconnect the tube from the back of
the gauge when the engine is running and let some oil drain (or squirt) out
of the tube into a container.  Then reconnect the tube fitting to the back
of the gauge.

If it were me, I would add a brass tee under the oil pressure sender and run
the direct reading oil pressure gauge from there.  That way you are reading
the pressure from the same source (and at the same time) as the dash gauge.

(Like Michael Moore said in a later post, his problem turned out to be the
voltage regulator for the dash gauges.)

It also sounds like you should go back to the 20-50w oil if that makes the
perceived problem go away.  As for the ?Sealed Power? brand oil pump, I
would go with a ?Mellings? brand oil pump.  Just my preference.  Both Sumit
and Jegs list them for your engine in original equipment and high volume
capacities.  I think your local auto parts dealers also carry Mellings
products.

Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)