RE: [Chrysler300] article on headlamps and what is new

RE: [Chrysler300] article on headlamps and what is new

Hi Paul,

To be clear on the headlamp arrangement when two brands were used on the
assembly line:  The hi/low beam lamps would be the same brand (GE or
TungSol) and the hi beam only lamps would be the other brand.  Therefore,
each side of the vehicle would have one of each brand, but it would be the
same arrangement on both sides of the vehicle.  The right side of your F
fits this description.  The left side, however, has the GE as the high beam.
Both high beams should be the same brand.  Of course, I have no idea how
careful the assembly line folks were about that.

To increase the probability that some of your headlamps are original to the
car, you would need to remove the outer trim ring and remove the headlamps
to examine the stamp on the back, should you be interested enough to do so.
They will be dirty and the stamp can rub off very easily; so exercise
caution.  The stamp will have a date code: either a two digit year or a
single digit month and year separated by a space or "12V" or something like
that.  For the F, the bulbs would be from 1959 or 1960.  If you have "59" or
"9", or "0" or "60", you've most likely got some original bulbs.  The Atlas
is not original, and one of the other ones is probably not.  But if the
other three lamps are all "center dot" lamps they are certainly of the
correct vintage.  Thanks for your interest in the article.

Carl

  _____