From: John McAdams
Date: 9/29/2011 1:55:14 PM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Voltage Regulators (Alternator version)

To all:

Since we were talking about voltage regulators (for Generators vs
Alternators) I just thought you guys might like to hear of my experience and
new found knowledge.

This has to do with the modern electronic voltage regulator for Alternator
equipped cars.

I was recently working on my ?62 ?Sport? ragtop and in my haste to get the
newly rebuilt 413 engine running, I accidently (stupidly) connected my
battery backwards with sizzling sounds and consequences. I fried the
alternator diodes as well as the Voltage Regulator.

I had a spare Alternator so that was not a real big deal. I just had to
change it out with the original dual belt pulley. The guys that are helping
me restore my ?62 413 are usually restoring high dollar ?E? bodies like
Hemi Roadrunners and HEMI Chargers. When they helped me change out my
Alternator, they noticed that the dual pulley on the alternator had the deep
belt grooves and the actual part number as used on the 426 (and later) HEMI
Alternators.

I went up to my local auto parts vendor and bought a new Alternator style
electronic voltage regulator. It had the same bolt pattern and terminal
locations but it was much lower, it only stood about 3/8ths of an inch high
and it was all chrome. I was anxious to get the new rebuilt motor running
so I went ahead and bought the regulator and installed it. I started the
engine and loooo and behold, the dash gauge showed the proper charging
reading.

Now I was still disappointed that this new voltage regulator really stood
out because it has a lower profile and the cover is chrome. I held the old
regulator up next to it (the one that I had bought from John Hertog) and
noticed that they looked very similar. The old voltage regulator was
painted satin black and about 1 ½ inch high and the cover had the words
?FLD? and ?IGN? stamped on the top.

Upon further comparison, I noted that the old voltage regulator cover just
snapped on and off of the base. WOW, I wonder?? I tried to pry off the new
(chrome) voltage regulator cover and sure enough, it just popped off as
well. Well to my ultimate surprise, the old voltage regulator cover (with
the IGN and FLD words stamped on it) neatly snapped right onto the new
voltage regulator base.

How about that. A new Electronic ? Solid State regulator with the old
(stock looking) cover. How Cool.

Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)