RE: [Chrysler300] 1962 300 Sport Leaf Springs

RE: [Chrysler300] 1962 300 Sport Leaf Springs

Matt, it's always nice to see clean springs and shocks sticking out under a car, especially now that it will likely be sitting a little higher. Usually, spring manuafacturers will paint their products but it's not always the best job. Unless you're doing a concourse restoration, a rattle can of satin or gloss black will suffice. When I go to the bother of removing spings from a car, I can't help myself from pulling out the rear end and cleaning that all up too.

You're in California, unless your car spent alot of time in the north or east, you should be able to unbolt everything without any problem. Maybe soak the nuts and threads of the hangers and u-bolts with penetrating oil ce for a couple days prior.

I like to:

support the body of the car fairly high in the air
remove the shocks
loosen all the nuts
support the forward portion of the center section (pumpkin) so it won't pivot when you loosen the u bolts
remove the u-bolts allowing the housing to remain straddling the spings
place jack stands under the axle housing on both sides
remove the shackles at the rear and allow the springs to drop to the floor
unbolt the forward spring bracket and pull the spring out

If you aren't going to detail the rear end, I suppose it would be possible to replace one spring at a time, eliminating the need to support axle completely. Be sure to replace all of the bushings of course. Sometimes when you install a new set, the shackle has a tendancy to flip toward the front of the car vs. the rear as you lower the body back down. This can be corrected by gently prying them back as you lower the car onto its wheels.

Have fun.

Ryan Hill