RE: [Chrysler300] Engine Paint

I don't have any specific written reference, but here is what I have been
told and have come to believe and apply to my '55 C-300.

Block, intake manifold & pan are silver/aluminum.  Exhaust manifolds are raw
cast iron but can be painted with a gray tone that will emulate uncorroded
cast iron.

Air cleaners and valve covers are flat to semi-gloss.  I re-finished mine in
1970 Cadillac Byzantine Gold with flattening agent to 80% gloss and tinted
to take some of the red out of the formula made up by my painter.  We were
attempting to match the remnants of original paint on the Delta wing air
cleaner.  Less glossy would have probably been more accurate, but the
results looked great.  See: http://www.kolumbus.fi/paivi.autere/e12.html
for a picture of a Caddy in that color.   I've also been told that the gold
color varied somewhat over the two-year period the Delta-Wing air cleaners
were used and that there may not be an absolute color standard for the color
of these items.

Plug wire covers were also semi-gloss black, but glossy looks better.  I was
able to order slotted pan head screws in stainless steel for the spark plug
covers from Ace Hardware.  The originals are chrome-plated carbon steel
screws and the chrome is almost always damaged at the overly-wide slot from
the stress of removal and installation.  I've seen where maybe the spark
plug cover screws on the 300B engines were Phillips-head pan head screws
which were a stock item at Ace.

You might want to consider powder coating the items if your coater will work
with you on color.  Just don't get them too glossy-the wet look isn't quite
right.

Properly done, the engine, air cleaner, rocker arm covers and accessories
form an impressive and attractive example of mechanical art.  These Brutes
are as Beautiful with their hoods up as they are closed up and ready to go.

C300K'ly,

Rich Barber