Re: [Chrysler300] '50s Hardtops

That's an interesting speculation that the C-300 designation derived from the Cunningham C-3.  I'd be curious to prove or disprove that one.  We will likely never know.  I own a C-3 and have done substantial research on them.  At the risk of boring the group, they were all powered originally by 331 extended bell housing FirePower Hemi motors.  Some Industrial and some not.  Mr. C built just 27 C-3's.  The website on that link is in error on the Powerflite tranny.  These cars were built in '52 and '53, before the Powerflite was available.  The only tranny options were a Cadillac 3 speed or a Chrysler FluidMatic.  The vast majority had the FluidMatic, aka tip-toe-matic, just like the Chrysler passenger cars of the day through '53 had. At the end of the production run Mr. C did keep one of the last C-3's for himself.  It is the only one fitted originally with a Powerflite tranny and also the only C-3 factory fitted with power windows.  That car is still owned by his daughter Lucie, and is original except for fresh paint, leather and chrome and it occassionally turns up at shows lately.

All 27 C-3's have been accounted for and can be seen in all states of condition, from 'barn find' to concours and everything in between.  I know of five that are in restoration shops and either in progress or halted progress.  A few have been transformed into modern Hemi resto rods, while still retaining the original outward appearance.

I'd be happy to dialogue off line about these cars with anyone.

Chuck
certified Hemi nut

  Since Briggs Cunningham had a hemi-engined C-3 car in 1953, there has been
  speculation that the C-300 was named in tribute to Briggs and/or his car.
  See: http://www.briggscunningham.com/home/sportscars/c3.html/ . I and
  others see no links supporting this speculation. The website indicates a
  3-speed manual transmission was standard and a TorqueFlite was optional..
  This is most likely an error as the PowerFlite two-speed transmission was
  the only automatic transmission available in 1953. The source of the stick
  transmission is unclear.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: