[Chrysler300] 1964 300K Steering Wheel-Tilt Column

[Chrysler300] 1964 300K Steering Wheel-Tilt Column

My  red '64 300K convertible with black leather interior has an
adjustable/tilt steering wheel/column.  I'm working with Dennis Crooks of
Quality Restorations on restoring the steering wheel.  I'm pretty sure the
Imperial steering wheel he shows in his catalog is the same as that
available in all other'64  Chryslers.  The Imperial wheel in Dennis' catalog
is cast in clear plastic.  1964 was the first year Chrysler offered the
adjustable steering wheel option.  Dennis offers a number of Chrysler
steering wheels at: http://qualityrestorations.com/chrysler.html

My question is color.  The parts manual lists several colors including
yellow/green, red and gray.  The wheel in my car and a wheel I bought from a
salvage yard are made from a greenish translucent vinyl-like plastic.  The
parts manual indicates a 300 with the black leather interior should have a
gray steering wheel if the tilt column is used.   It is not evident if the
proper color wheel is solid gray or gray-tinted clear.

Can anyone with a '64 300 having a tilt column and black interior let me
know what the color of your steering wheel is?  I'm thinking it might be a
gray toned translucent plastic and that the greenish wheels in my possession
are from Chryslers or Imperials with different-colored interiors.

The turn signal switch in the tilt column is a Delco-Remy product suggesting
the tilt column might be a GM product??? I'm told the switch is the same as
for GM cars with tilt columns.   The steering wheels have the CPDD logo and
a Chrysler parts number.  I understand the rectangular steering wheels will
not fit on the tilt column splines.  One member reports problems with the
turn signal every time the wheel is tilted.  Anyone else have/solve that
problem?

The release arm for my tilt column is severely corroded and I could use a
better one if anyone has a decent spare they would part with.

Thanks in advance for any help and clarity you can provide.

C300K'ly,

Rich Barber

1801 Redwine Terrace

Brentwood, CA 94513-6000