Re: [Chrysler300] tire summary

I think you are correct, the 3 sizes of Bluestreaks still in production
in late 1963 were 7.60-15, 8.00-15, and 9.00-14 - all in Narrow Whitewall.

And from personal experience in the early-60's a Doctor in our town
wanted wide whitewalls for his 1961 Cadillac - probably 1963 or 1964 -
cost no object - but all the 8.20-15 that were available were narrow
white - he had tried Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Firestone, Uniroyal, and a
few off brands that were available locally (Brunswick, Hood, Atlas, etc)
- no luck - even with the premium self-sealing tires. He was a friend of
my dad's and was very unhappy.

On 11/19/2011 10:07 AM, lettercars@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Carl and All:
> This experience of mine may be of some interest. When I bought my 300C in
> July of 1963, it was equipped with tires (brand unkown) of approximately
> the correct whitewall width, but with considerable wear. When I
> decided to
> get new ones, either late that year or early the next, I went right to
> Goodyear and ordered four 9.00 X 14 Blue Streaks. I picked them up at the
> Goodyear plant on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit. Even though they were
> the proper
> 300C size, the whitewall size was the same as current new car
> tires----about 1 1/8" narrow band. Of course, this combination of tire
> size and
> whitewall width was never used on a production Blue Streak. So, it
> appears that
> Goodyear, and probably the other tire companies as well, produced their
> replacement tires with the same design whitewall currently used on
> production
> cars----not worrying too much about the needs of us "old car nuts".
> 300ly, Gil Cunningham
>

> In a message dated 11/18/2011 12:39:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> millserat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:millserat%40bellsouth.net> writes:
>
> Actually the white wall width was not an individual car issue - though
> there were some unique configurations in the 70's and 80's with triple
> whites and odd widths, but the Tire industry - as dictated mostly by the
> new car stylists changed widths from time to time. Pretty much all cars
> changed from wide to medium and later to about 2.5 inch width at same
> time on OE tires - second lines generally followed a year or so later.
> In 1962, they went from whitewalls extending to rim on inside to what
> was called a "beautyline" whitewall that had a narrow (about 1 inch)
> white separated from rim by a black area. Later they varied slightly -
> generally trending to more narrow until 1971 dual white and then back to
> narrow white and finally blackwall.
>
> On 11/18/2011 11:08 AM, C Bilter wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tony,
> >
> > Actually, according to the club website, from 1957 through 1960 the
> letter
> > cars all came with 2-1/2" to 2-11/16" whitewalls in a 9.00x14" tire. The
> > wider white in '61 probably had to do with switching to the 8.00x15"
> tire.
> > The question is valid, however, because in 1961 a 3+" whitewall was
> pretty
> > wide for factory issue. The 1961 Imperials, for example, which came with
> > 8.20x15" tires actually had a narrower whitewall of perhaps 2-1/2"
> or so.
> > Perhaps it had something to do with availability of tires that could
> > accommodate the high speed capabilities of the G.
> >
> > Carl Bilter
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>
> [...]