Re: [Chrysler300] FALL 2011 CLUB NEWS

As an admirer of Virgil Exner and collector of his (and Ghia's) work, I too
enjoyed the article in the club news.  I have had the good fortune to drive
the "Detroit" Imperial Phaeton, owned by the Petersen Museum, on several
occasions.  I showed it at Chrysler Performance West's Spring Fling at
Woodley Park a few years back and have also driven it in the Hollywood
Christmas Parade.  The car is in very good condition and runs and drives
beautifully.  When I drove it in the Hollywood Christmas Parade the Mayor
of Los Angeles was also in the parade in the Los Angeles Imperial Phaeton.
 It was amazing to see the two together.  The Los Angeles car had a white
interior at the time so the brown interior must be relatively new.  The
Petersen car is in far better condition and even still has the original top
and wheels.

I have put together an album with some of my photos of the car, including
some shots from the parade with glimpses of the two together.  For anyone
interested, the photo album can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401198@N04/sets/72157628376257227/

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes.

Richard Rowlands
Los Angeles CA

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, John Lazenby <french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> **
>

> My complements to all who submitted articles for this issue.  Even though
> the 300L is not my personal favorite I found the entire issue EXCELLENT.
> Congrats to Don Warnaar on making the cover and in my opinion it is well
> over due.  Jeff Miklas' article really put a smile on my face.
>
> Now I know some of this is not "300 related" but I will still offer it
> should there be any interest.  The Virgil Exner article I found to be the
> icing on the cake.  One of my almost life long passions has been the three
> Parade Phaetons.
>
> About 1.5 years ago I had the oppertunity to have a one on one encounter
> with the Los Angeles Phaeton.  For those of you that would car to read it
> and view the photos go to:
> http://www.imperialclub.org/Rare/Phaetons/1950s/LosAngeles/LA-Phaeton_JohnL/LA-Phaeton_JohnL.htm
>
> This article will explain my interest and hopefully will offer some
> information on these vehicles.  I have an open inventation to have a one on
> one visit with the former Detroit example which is owned by the Petersen
> Museum in Los Angeles.  I plan to make the trip and see if I can learn more
> by doing a comparison of the two.
>
> In closing I'll say that to me personally these are the Ultimate cars that
> Chrysler has ever produced.
>
> John Lazenby

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional