From: c300c@xxxxxxx
Sender: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:34:41
To: <300country@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] FALL 2011 CLUB NEWS

Hi Don and anyone interested:

In the mid-50s, I owned a 1951 Chrysler Saratoga. The transmission was an
M6 Fluid Drive. The transmission had a torque-converter coupled to a
mechanical  clutch. It was equipped with a reverse, low speed and high speed gears
through a  two-speed gearing setup, giving a low and higher speed in each
gear position,  including reverse.  Example: you could stop without changing
the gear shift  lever, no clutch necessary, and when you started again, the
transmission  started out in the lower gear of the selected position and
after gaining speed,  you allowed the gas pedal to relax and the transmission
would go "Clunk",  changing to the higher gear speed.

That was the reason we old timers called it a "Clunk-O-Matic". I think this
 setup was used until 1953.

300'ly, Gary Hagy
300-C conv.

In a message dated 12/12/2011 4:18:24 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,