RE: [Chrysler300] Carburetor Problems

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I did a few years back. If you review the archives, you'll be able to read about how my nearly fully restored '65 300 Sport was almost lost to an engine fire. The short version:

Needle and seat stuck while troubleshooting a fuel delivery problem.
Angry and frustrated, I immediately removed all the plugs and drained the fuel from the cylinders before over a litre (quart for you US folks) found it's way into the pan.
Being so frustrated by this point, I wasn't thinking clearly and decided to crank the engine over to push out the rest of the fuel.
With the plug leads dangling, the engine began bellowing raw fuel from the cylinders and splattering it all over. Much like watching your keys laying on the floor of your trunk as you slam it closed and not being able to take back that millisecond to undo what you instantly recognize as a big mistake, I realized what I had done.
The vapors were ignited by an open lead that must have arched to a ground. There was a small boom as the engine compartment flashed into flames.
I did have the forethought to pull down a fire extinguisher from the garage wall and drag the garden hose nearby the garage in the event something happened.
The fire extinguisher failed, even though it still showed a charge. Adrenaline took over and I began to push the car (in neutral) out of my garage to save the house, my boat, and everything else I hold dear (my wife wasn't home)
Fortunately, the fuel burned out quickly and I realized I could extinguish the burning wires, plastic, and small pools of fuel on the upper control arms with the hose.
I was lucky, I only need to replace some wiring and refinish some sheet metal. I will never work while in that state of mind again, if I were thinking clearly and taking my time I would never have made that mistake.

As for getting the fuel out, it will likely wash down the cylinders and drain completely into the oil pan fairly quickly. Pull the plugs to allow for evaporation. Change the oil right away, don't pump anything through the system. Add new oil and squirt some oil into the cylinders before replacing the plugs, ensuring you will have enough compression to restart the car. (Without oil on the cylinder walls your compression will be drastically reduced.....enough that the engine will not run)

Ryan Hill

> CC: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:31:03 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Carburetor Problems
>
> Before doing ANYTHING, pull the plugs! Do NOT crank with the plugs in and liquid fuel in the cylinders.
> If you have a Myti-Vac, suck out the cylinders, or use lots of old rags or towels over the plug holes.
> Then you could crank it over to clear the cylinders.
>
> Then change the oil filter and oil.
>
> Ray
>

> On Dec 15, 2011, at 9:40 AM, James Rhoades wrote:
>

> Hi Group,
> I had gas spilling out of the carburetor into the intake manifold and into the oil pan. I found one of the floats half full of gas holding the needle open on the seat. I know I have to change the oil and filter my question is I wonder if anyone has had this problem and could guide me in the procedure of how I get gas and contaminated fuel out of the cylinders, and heads?
> Thanks to everyone and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.
> Jim Rhoades, Pueblo Co.
>

> Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest ? Unsubscribe ? Terms of Use
> .

> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional