[Chrysler300] Re: 6 volt to 12 volt

Good Morning everybody and happy Holidays.
I know this discussion is basically over, but I would like to add few pointers that could be helpful for anybody in the future.
I have owned several cars with 6 volt systems, and in all cases had no problems as long as the system was in good order (correct size cables, fully functioning starter and charging system, etc).
One of my cars (37 Buick), that was stock, came with a 8 volt battery when I bought it last year. First I thought this was great...it started great and the starter turned a bit faster than with the 6 volt battery. However, I have encountered the following problems:
Amp gauge always showed full discharge, even when I 'tweaked' the voltage regulator. (This makes sense, since this particular regulator/ generator maxed out at 7.8 v - hence, the system wasn't able to fully charge the battery.) No issues with bulbs or any other electric components.
Second issue was how to charge this battery with a 6/12 volt charger when the car sat for a long period. 12 v would cook it, while 6 would give it a boost, but never a full charge. I know that there are 8 volt chargers on the market, but didn't want to invest in one. So, running a 12 volt headlamp in series with the 12 v setting on my charger, I got about 9.1 volts and less than an amp going to the battery......way too much trouble in my opinion.

About a month ago I have had enough of this, bought a 6 v battery and all is well. Ammeter works great and the car starts as well if not better than with the 8 volt battery, since now it is always fully charged.

Anyhow, here is my 1 cent (it is not 2 cents any more, due to the state of the economy) worth...hope it helps someone who is considering going to  8 volts.

Tom Chvapil
Tucson,Az
tchvapil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your email settings: