Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 300

Second that - clean terminals, dieletric grease, heavy (0 gage) cables
from battery and to starter, good generator and battery, good fuel &
ignition - and all my 6 volt tractors start fine. If you have ignition
or fuel issues, 12v does not start either.

On 12/20/2011 6:08 PM, Ray Jones wrote:

> I have 3 Ford 8-N's (non-running, wanna project?) and a 2-N. I used
> the 2-N a lot around the place box blading and just riding for fun.
> I always had to jump start it, as the 6 volt just didn't do it. I had
> 8 volts for a while and that helped.
> Finally Rene Kroger told me he had very large tractors starting in the
> worst of winter with 6 volts so we looked further.
> After cleaning every connection, including the starter mounting face,
> it starts up just fine with 6 volts.
> Bigger cables will help, but clean terminals is the answer.
> Ray
>
> On Dec 20, 2011, at 4:41 PM, jlsavard@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:jlsavard%40aol.com> wrote:
>
> I have an old Ford Tractor that is 6 volt. The battery needed replacing
> recently, and having heard about 8 volt batteries, I bought one. I
> thought
> that it was a simple drop-in replacement.
>
> Only after the purchase did I find that to make the 8 volt work, I'd need
> to readjust the voltage regulator to make 8 volts, or the system wouldn't
> function properly. At one point, my regulator was buzzing like a doorbell
> from the uneven voltage. Voltmeters and other equipment are needed to
> reset
> the points. I decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble, and went
> back
> to 6 volts. Happily, the dealer exchanged batteries for me, no cost.
>
> When the 6 volt system fails next time, I'll convert to a 12 volt
> conversion, using a single wire alternator from GM. Those conversion
> kits (For a
> tractor) cost around $150 or so. Of course, I'll still have to convert
> the
> lighting, and that is lots harder on a car.
>
> Joe Savard
> Lake Orion, Michigan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional