RE: [Chrysler300] Steering Box Rebuild

Tony,

I did the box in my G last summer.  I debated going with a firmer feel
rebuild but decided against it based on feedback from others on the list
that had it done. Several said they would not do it again.  I'm glad I kept
it stock, as it would have changed the personality of the car.  I have no
problem with road feel, my G steering feels very precise and controlled.  I
think the firm feel option is more fitting to a later Mopar muscle car than
it is to a letter car or fin era Mopar.

On the rebuild, Steer and Gear is by far the most recommended place to have
it done, they are also the most expensive.  If you are having it done to
stock spec, you have more options of rebuilders. If your box is just
leaking, you may not have as challenging of a rebuild job as one that has a
lot of internal wear.  One of the reasons Steer and Gear charges as much as
they do is that they will fit in larger balls than stock to take up any wear
in the mechanism.  Mine did not need that, it was just leaking.  Regardless
of whoever does your box, make sure you mark, with a drift punch, the
orientation of the steering column adapter spline to the input spline on the
box.  My rebuilder did not do this (nor did I before I sent it), and the
adapter got put back on in a different position and caused me a lot of grief
to figure it out, and two expensive visits to the alignment shop.  I used
Lares for the box and pump and they were fine except for the aforementioned
issue..

Check your rubber steering isolator when you have it apart, and if it is
bad, Goers makes a replacement, Steer and Gear offers them too.  If your
front end is in good shape and properly aligned now, you may not have to get
it aligned again if you follow the service manual procedure and install it
back exactly as it came out.  I marked my wedge and around the mounting
washers to confirm I had it back in place as original.  Torque the mounting
bolts to 50 ft/lbs, and the pitman arm to 120ft/lbs. If your steering wheel
is not straight when you are going down the road in a straight line, and it
did before the rebuild, chances are the adapter is off a  spline or several.
You may be able to correct it with an alignment but maybe not, depending on
how far off it is.  If you are going to replace the power steering hoses,
Goers also has those, I'm told the high pressure hose in the right length is
hard to find in parts stores.  I routed mine over the top of the intake
manifold like the factory did it, and it now is correct after all these
years.

Happy New Year!

Bob J