Re: [Chrysler300] Sway bar bushings

Dear Big John,
I regret that I did not take a  lot of pictures. On my 62, there were three locations of bushings:

1. The bushings at each end which  connect in  the lower control arm  are

2. The square bushings which slide over the round bar, and which are inside of a welded square housing which 3.The bushings which slide over the stud and sandwich around the front cross member.

I had to take the welded housings apart by drilling out the HUGE spot welds.  This was true on both the ends and the stand-off versions.  The pieces looked totally destroyed. I has the holes all welded up, and I straightened up the pieces so I could reassemble them.

I managed to assemble the pieces, on the torsion bar. I used a LARGE number of various c-clamps and got it all assembled.

I took the entire assembly to my welder, and has him weld the edges (no spot welding possible)  , and that worked great.

Good Luck!
Mike

On Feb 23, 2012, at 7:46 PM, John McAdams wrote:

> Michael Moore:
>
> Are they rubber or Poly bushings?  The old aftermarket Polyurethane bushings would always squeak as they rubbed on the sway bar and they would drive you crazy.  I am assuming that they are rubber.
>
> Did you use alcohol (I mean on the bushings, not inside your tummy) when installing the rubber bushings?  Liberally douse the rubber with rubbing alcohol as you attempt to get them on the sway bar.  Plain rubbing alcohol is one of the best lubricants to use on rubber.  It makes rubber very slippery and when you are done and it is in its proper place, the alcohol will simply evaporate leaving the rubber bushing to grip the sway bar as it should.
>
> I learned this 20 or so years ago from an old motorcycle mechanic friend when I was trying to install new rubber handgrips on my motorcycle.  Incidentally, he also taught me to place a rolled up copy of my motorcycle registration just inside the end of the handlebar to be able to prove it was mine if it was ever stolen.
>
> Big John Mc Adams
> (In SoCal)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional