Re: [Chrysler300] noisy rear brakes 1958 300D

Re: [Chrysler300] noisy rear brakes 1958 300D

Larry,
I don't have any pictures, but I'll explain what I did on my 300H brakes. The adjusters had been "adjusted" for 300,000 miles and the adjusting bolt heads were pretty rounded.
One had at one time been adjusted using vise grips!
When I overhauled my brakes, I replaced all wheel cylinders. I also removed all 4 backing plates which contain the adjusters. I took the backing plates to a local machine shop who used 4 large nuts. The nuts were sufficient in size to fit over the existing shaft, and he carefully welded the nuts to the shaft around the edge. He did NOT cover up the circular arrow on the end which shows which way to turn to tighten. They really looked first class and allow me to use a larger wrench safely to adjust the brakes. I really liked that rework!
Another tip-the booster in my car, and in a lot of H's is incorrect for the car  and does not work well at all. The NAPA p/n list is wrong. I was able to find the correct dual diaphragm booster from Booster dewey, and it made a lot of difference. I also found it necessary to adjust the pushrod which goes not the master cylinder.  I left ca .060 clearance between the end of the booster shaft and the master cylinder. That raised the pedal a LOT.

Mike Moore
300H

On Mar 10, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Rich Barber wrote:

> This is why arc grinding the shoes to the actual ID of the drum they will be
> installed in is so helpful. It makes initial contact of shoe to drum more
> uniform. If necessary, have the drum turned first, if only to eliminate the
> deepest groves and assure roundness/concentricity which might be caused by
> setting the parking brake hard on hot drums. Some say the drums on each
> side should be of the precise same ID for ultimate balance but I'm not
> convinced.
>
> Rich Barber

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional