[Chrysler300] Re: Torque Converter Drainback / Leaky Tranny (Again)

[Chrysler300] Re: Torque Converter Drainback / Leaky Tranny (Again)

Hello Leaky Tranny Collectors (Drain Back)

I have been watching with interest the various responses to this old
problem, and frankly we have been trying to solve it for a number of years.
It's a real pain, and messy too!   The one way valve might be a good answer,
but I have never tried it.

Here's what we do, and it has worked pretty successfully, although it's a
"pain fix" because you have to remove the cable from the traney end, but
this has worked for us.   Get the cable loose from the transmission open the
little plug and disconnect it---don't try to pull it out!    Take a small
roll of shrink wrap and carefully shrink it a couple of layers thick all the
way from the coupling up to the place where the cable goes into the car dash
to connect to the shifter.  (it is not necessary to go all the way or remove
the cable from the shifter mech.).     Obtain some heat shrink tubing from
an electrical supply house such as Mousier or the like.  This stuff can be
bought in long rolls but it is a little pricey.   We use a size that will
fit over the cable and the shrink wrap bundle and still have enough slack to
slide all the way to the top of the cable in one piece.    Then you use a
heat gun (also from the electronic store people) and shrink the entire cable
for a tight fit.   If this is done carefully it makes a tidy black cable
that looks new and obviously does nothing to fix the Chrysler problem, but
the stuff can't leak out anymore!

If you are tired of recycling your trans. fluid every spring from the floor
to your car, this will fix that problem, but the problem is still
there---poor Chrysler design.   We had a couple of these cables that were
NOS, and they had a black rubber coating of something on them so the factory
was aware of the problem.  Over time this coating gets hard and breaks off,
exposing the cable to leak problems again (just like a wick).   Perhaps our
fix will not be permanent, but if it lasts for 10-15 years its long enough
for my watch, then somebody else can repair it again.     Good luck and
happy leaking.      bob brown and george collar,  Georges Mopar Toys,  Wisc.
Rapids, WI.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: